Former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher died on Monday April 8, 2013 at the age of 87.
She was a British Conservative Party politician who was the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom from 1979 to 1990 and was the Leader of the Conservative Party from 1975 to 1990.
She was the longest serving British Prime Minister in the 20th century and the only woman to have held the office. A Soviet journalist called her the “Iron Lady”, a nickname that became associated with her uncompromising politics and leadership style.
I would like to pay a small tribute to her by sharing some of her popular quotes on Leadership, Success, Attitude, Discipline, Values, Principles, Beliefs and certainly Politics.
These quotes inspired me personally and I am hoping that they will inspire you as well.
- Disciplining yourself to do what you know is right and important, although difficult, is the highroad to pride, self-esteem, and personal satisfaction.
- What is success? I think it is a mixture of having a flair for the thing that you are doing; knowing that it is not enough, that you have got to have hard work and a certain sense of purpose.
- If you just set out to be liked, you would be prepared to compromise on anything at any time, and you would achieve nothing.
- To me, consensus seems to be the process of abandoning all beliefs, principles, values and policies. So it is something in which no one believes and to which no one objects.
- I do not know anyone who has got to the top without hard work. That is the recipe. It will not always get you to the top, but should get you pretty near.
- I love argument, I love debate. I don’t expect anyone just to sit there and agree with me, that’s not their job.
- You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it.
- If you set out to be liked, you would be prepared to compromise on anything at any time, and you would achieve nothing.
- It is not the creation of wealth that is wrong, but the love of money for its own sake.
- I am in politics because of the conflict between good and evil, and I believe that in the end good will triumph.
- Pennies do not come from heaven. They have to be earned here on earth.
- It pays to know the enemy – not least because at some time you may have the opportunity to turn him into a friend.
- Plan your work for today and every day, then work your plan.
- No one would remember the Good Samaritan if he’d only had good intentions; he had money as well.
- People think that at the top there isn’t much room. They tend to think of it as an Everest. My message is that there is tons of room at the top.
- If you lead a country like Britain, a strong country, a country which has taken a lead in world affairs in good times and in bad, a country that is always reliable, then you have to have a touch of iron about you.
- If you want something said, ask a man; if you want something done, ask a woman.
- I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end.
- Any woman who understands the problems of running a home will be nearer to understanding the problems of running a country.
- I’ve got a woman’s ability to stick to a job and get on with it when everyone else walks off and leaves it.
- Being prime minister is a lonely job… you cannot lead from the crowd.
- There is no such thing as society: there are individual men and women, and there are families.
- Of course it’s the same old story. Truth usually is the same old story.
- What Britain needs is an iron lady.