Listening is one of the most important and powerful skill for Leaders. Leaders must listen to what is being said and also what isn’t being said.
John C. Maxwell, who is a leadership expert and author always emphasizes that “Leadership is nothing but Influence”. Mr.Maxwell states that “The right to lead can only be earned and it takes time” and “To add value to others, one must first value others”.
Here are some quotes that will emphasize the importance of “Listening for Leaders.”
- The most important thing in communication is to hear what isn’t being said. – Peter F. Drucker
- When you really listen to another person from their point of view, and reflect back to them that understanding, it’s like giving them emotional oxygen. – Stephen Covey
- Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen. – Winston Churchill
- Education is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper or your self-confidence. – Robert Frost
- One of the most sincere forms of respect is actually listening to what another has to say. – Bryant H. McGill
- So when you are listening to somebody, completely, attentively, then you are listening not only to the words, but also to the feeling of what is being conveyed, to the whole of it, not part of it. – Jiddu Krishnamurti
- I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen.- Ernest Hemingway
- Listen to many, speak to a few. – William Shakespeare
- Know how to listen, and you will profit even from those who talk badly. – Plutarch
- Most of the successful people I’ve known are the ones who do more listening than talking. – Bernard M. Baruch
- No man ever listened himself out of a job. – Calvin Coolidge
- A good listener is not only popular everywhere, but after a while he knows something. – Wilson Mizner
- Wisdom is the reward you get for a lifetime of listening when you’d have preferred to talk.- Doug Larson
- Of all human activities, man’s listening to God is the supreme act of his reasoning and will. – Pope Paul VI
- The greatest gift you can give another is the purity of your attention. – Richard Moss
Listening is a way of adding value to others. When people get the feeling that their leader listens to them and understands them, they will start trusting the leader and the leader’s influence grows among his followers.