What is Character? The Oxford dictionary defines character as “the mental and moral qualities distinctive to an individual”. Psychologist Lawrence Pervin defines moral character as “a disposition to express behavior in consistent patterns of functions across a range of situations.”
Helen Keller stated “Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.”
There are many quotations on “Character” by a lot of famous people. I would like to share a few of them.
- Public behavior is merely private character writ large.- Stephen Covey
- By constant self-discipline and self-control you can develop greatness of character. – Grenville Kleiser
- The character of a man is known from his conversations. – Menander
- I care not what others think of what I do, but I care very much about what I think of what I do! That is character! – Theodore Roosevelt
- Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power. – Abraham Lincoln
- Simplicity in character, in manners, in style; in all things the supreme excellence is simplicity. – Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Knowledge will give you power, but character respect. – Bruce Lee
- Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy. – Norman Schwarzkopf
- Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character. – Albert Einstein
- Strength of character may be learned at work, but beauty of character is learned at home. – Henry Drummond
- Character is a journey, not a destination. – William J. Clinton
- A man of personality can formulate ideals, but only a man of character can achieve them. – Herbert Read
- A person reveals his character by nothing so clearly as the joke he resents. – Georg C. Lichtenberg
- You don’t build your character by doing what everybody else is doing. – Carlos Ghosn
- Faith is the foundation upon which a godlike character is built. It is a prerequisite for all other virtues. – Ezra Taft Benson
We need leaders with excellent moral character and good ethical values to lead us in order to make a positive difference in this world . People need role models with good character. We also need men and women with strong moral character who can make a difference.
Please feel free to share any good quotes on the importance of Character by commenting on this post.