Everyone is busy during this time of the year shopping for gifts for their families and friends. Many people spend a lot of money buying gifts to make their loved one’s happy.
Do you know that there are some gifts that does not impact our wallets but could have a profound impact on the receiver? Do you also know that we are all blessed with those gifts that we can share? Here they are..
1. Gift of Smile. Smile is a universal expression of friendliness. A warm friendly smile could change someone’s world. We can always give this simple gift of smile to the people around us. It is free to give to and it is contagious. I read a true story about a person who left a suicide note saying “If at least one person smiles at me today I will not commit suicide”. It was tragic that no one smiled at him and he ended his life. How sad! One simple smile from someone could have saved this person’s life. Give the gift of smile freely and abundantly. It could make a difference in a person’s life. When you smile at others you will literally infect them with happiness and this could be contagious.
The Holy Bible states in Proverbs 17:22 “A happy heart is good medicine and a cheerful mind works healing, but a broken spirit dries up the bones.” Smiling is good for your health. Research have shown that smiling could relax the facial muscles, boost the immune system, reduces stress, lower blood pressure and can enhance other people’s perception of you.
2. Gift of Kindness. Lao Tzu a philosopher of ancient China, best known as the author of the Tao Te Ching quoted “Kindness in words creates confidence. Kindness in thinking creates profoundness. Kindness in giving creates love.” We can conquer the world with kindness. Small acts of kindness such as smiling, listening, appreciating and complementing others can make a big difference.
Some people are ready to blame and insult others, sometimes for no reason. Kindness can change the lives of people around us. Being kind to others can make you more blessed in your daily life. Kindness can help in getting things accomplished with ease. Even small gestures and actions will have an enormous impact.
3. Gift of Empathy. Empathy is the ability to understand and share the feelings of another person. It is walking the path of another person. Empathy is literally about putting yourself in others shoes to truly understand what the other person is experiencing. We must never assume anything. We must have the courage to ask the right questions in order to understand what a person is going through. Stephen Covey states “Nothing is more validating and affirming than feeling understood. And the moment a person begins feeling understood, that person becomes far more open to influence and change”. So give the gift of Empathy freely and be there for people when they are in need.
4. Gift of Encouragement. As we go through our journey of life there are many people around us who are looking for words of encouragement. A simple word of encouragement to a hurting person is like giving a glass of cold water on a hot and humid summer day. Everyone needs encouragement at some point or other. Take time in your daily routine to say an encouraging word to those around you. It could be your wife, husband, child, a co-worker, your boss or a cashier at a convenient store or an attendant at a gas station. Be a source of encouragement to someone and tell them that they are doing a great job. If someone does something that makes your life better, thank them honestly. It will make a difference. Never underestimate the power of a right word spoken at the right time.
5. Gift of Service. Sam Walton, the founder of Walmart and Sam’s Club said “By enriching others, I enrich myself”. This is absolutely true. We can freely give the gift of service and time. You can look for opportunities to serve. There could be opportunities to serve others in your work place, serving through churches and various organizations like Samaritan’s Purse, Adopt-A-Family or serve at Sunday Breakfast Rescue Mission to name a few. We can also look for opportunities where others are weak (physically, emotionally, financially) and help in strengthening them.
I came across this quote by Antoine R. Ivins “He who holds a lantern to light the pathway of his brothers, sees more clearly his own. I must confess that in helping others I gain wisdom, strength and courage.” This is a true statement. We cannot help others without helping ourselves. By giving the gift of service we are also giving the gift of time. I am sure this gift will enrich your life too.
Conclusion. Giving these gifts to others will make us to be a different person. There is no other person like you in this world and you will can uniquely impact the people around you. Give these gifts outlined above and make a lasting impression in this world.
The Holy Bible states in Acts 20:35 “Remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’ ” Be a blessing to others and share these gifts freely.