Courageous Leaders are always in demand. A good leader must have the courage to do the right thing. The current and the past times have always called for confident, bold and courageous leaders. Leaders have to make decisions during various times and it takes a leader who has the courage to make the right decisions. Being courageous is not an easy virtue to display, because it can be uncomfortable, and could also make the leader unpopular.
The Merriam Webster dictionary defines “Courage” as “mental or moral strength to venture, persevere, and withstand danger, fear, or difficulty“.
The important attributes of Courage are
1. Being afraid, but still choosing to act.
2. Doing the right thing because it is the right thing to do.
3. To let go of the uncertainties and choosing to do something that needs to be done.
4. To face the Truth and having the courage to say “No” when required.
5. Taking the stand in order to do the right thing when no one else supports.
Here are some quotes from various leaders who excelled in their roles and displayed this Leadership trait called “Courage”.
- I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear. – Nelson Mandela
- True courage is being afraid, and going ahead and doing your job anyhow, that’s what courage is. – Norman Schwarzkopf
- Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear. – Mark Twain
- Faced with what is right, to leave it undone shows a lack of courage. – Confucius
- Have the courage to say no. Have the courage to face the truth. Do the right thing because it is right. These are the magic keys to living your life with integrity. – W. Clement Stone
- Courage is the most important of all the virtues, because without courage you can’t practice any other virtue consistently. You can practice any virtue erratically, but nothing consistently without courage. – Maya Angelou
- Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy. – Dale Carnegie
- Success is never final, failure is never fatal. It’s courage that counts. – John Wooden
- God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. – Reinhold Niebuhr
- Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. – Winston Churchill
- All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.- Walt Disney
- Courage means to keep working a relationship, to continue seeking solutions to difficult problems, and to stay focused during stressful periods. – Denis Waitley
- Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen. – Winston Churchill
- Courage is contagious. When a brave man takes a stand, the spines of others are often stiffened. – Billy Graham