Dr. Avul Pakir Jainulabdeen Abdul Kalam (Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam) (15 October 1931 – 27 July 2015) was the 11th President of India from 2002 to 2007. Dr. Abdul Kalam was also known as the People’s President and was the third President of India who was honored with a Bharat Ratna award, India’s highest civilian honor.
He graduated from the Institute of Technology, Madras in 1960 and was a scientist by career who turned into a politician. Dr.Kalam was popularly known as “Missile Man” after pioneering the country’s military missile program.
Dr. Kalam was one of India’s most eminent scientists, and had the unique honor of receiving honorary doctorates from 30 universities and institutions. He was popular with children and young people. Dr. Kalam engaged the youth by reaching out to them through his lectures and public interactions.
Here are some inspiring quotes and words of wisdom on Leadership, Courage, Perseverance, and Education from the former President, scientist and author.
- Let me define a leader. He must have vision and passion and not be afraid of any problem. Instead, he should know how to defeat it. Most importantly, he must work with integrity.
- Difficulties in your life do not come to destroy you, but to help you realize your hidden potential and power.
- Don’t take rest after your first victory because if you fail in second, more lips are waiting to say that your first victory was just luck.
- All birds find shelter during a rain. But Eagles avoid rain by flying above the clouds. Problems are common, but attitude make the difference.
- Dream, Dream, Dream. Dreams transform into thoughts and thoughts result in action. Dreams are not those which comes while we are sleeping, but dreams are those when you don’t sleep before fulfilling them.
- My message, especially to young people is to have courage to think differently, courage to invent, to travel the unexplored path, courage to discover the impossible and to conquer the problems and succeed. These are great qualities that they must work towards. This is my message to the young people.
- When we tackle obstacles, we find hidden reserves of courage and resilience we did not know we had. And it is only when we are faced with failure do we realise that these resources were always there within us. We only need to find them and move on with our lives.
- Educationists should build the capacities of the spirit of inquiry, creativity, entrepreneurial and moral leadership among students and become their role model.
- To succeed in your mission, you must have single-minded devotion to your goal.
- Excellence is a continuous process and not an accident.